Keeping your account secure
Security is a top priority for all of our clients. With the evolving threat of cybercrime, Qtrade Direct Investing is always finding new ways to assist in protecting the personal and financial information you entrust to us. In this article we provide a brief overview of some of the measures we take to keep your information secure.
What do we do to protect your security?
We have a number of security measures in place to help keep your Qtrade Direct Investing account secure. We:
- use the strongest available encryption technology to help ensure that data passing between your computer and our website is secure;
- require you to use a browser that supports 256-bit encryption;
- use digital certificates issued by trusted third-party companies to let you know that our site is secure;
- use powerful firewalls to protect your account information; and
- never send you messages asking you to provide us with personal or account information via email.
What can you do to protect your security?
Although we take every measure to keep your account secure, there are some ways you can help safeguard your account. While using or transacting in your account, you should:
- never divulge your username and password. Change your password frequently and make sure to create unique passwords for each online account you hold;
- choose a password with a minimum of eight characters. A strong password uses a combination of upper and lowercase letters, and also includes numbers and symbols;
- make sure you sign out and close your Internet browser at the end of each login session, and clear your cache regularly;
- never leave your computer while logged into our website;
- never send confidential or personal information through email;
- always ensure anti-virus software is installed and kept up to date, set the anti-virus software to update automatically, and use anti-virus software to scan your computer regularly; and
- sign up for automatic product updates to ensure your device is protected
Clear your cache
To better protect the confidentiality of your personal information, we highly recommend that you clear your browser's memory cache or close your browser (which will also clear the browser's memory cache) after your session.
Manage your cookies
Set up two-factor authentication
We encourage you to set up your two-factor authentication (2FA) today to help keep your account secure. Two-factor authentication helps improve account security by verifying your identity using two distinct forms of identification. This usually includes entering your account password followed by verifying your identity through a trusted device, such as your mobile or home phone.
You can set up your 2FA by logging into your Qtrade Direct Investing account and following these steps:
- Go to Accounts option at the top of the page then select Service Centre from the dropdown menu
- Under Security Centre, select Two Factor Authentication
After following the instructions and prompts on that page, your 2FA has successfully been set up!
Designate a trusted contact person
Appointing a trusted contact person (TCP) is one way to add an extra layer of protection to your account. If a situation arises where we have concerns about financial decisions or where we believe that there may be financial exploitation, we can reach out to your appointed TCP to discuss your account.
Sign up to receive trading tips, service updates and offers by emailSign up today
Our Internet Security Guarantee
We value your business and the trust you have placed in Qtrade. We take security very seriously and use a variety of measures to protect your personal information and accounts. If you are a Qtrade client, as part of our ongoing commitment to you, we're proud to offer our Qtrade Internet Security Guarantee exclusively for Qtrade account holders:
Qtrade account holders will receive 100% reimbursement for any losses in their account from unauthorized online brokerage activity1.
Our Internet Security Guarantee is designed to provide you with peace of mind when doing business with us. If you detect any errors or discrepancies or suspect unauthorized activity in your Qtrade account, please contact us promptly at 1.877.787.2330.
To ensure that you are able to contact us in a timely manner, you must frequently check your Qtrade account information and transaction history online and promptly review correspondence, account statements and trade confirmations received from Qtrade. We will investigate any unauthorized activity that you report to us, and we will ask you to cooperate with us in any investigations and to take corrective measures to protect your account from further fraudulent activity.
Qtrade is committed to keeping your confidential information safe. To protect your information and assets, Qtrade employs extensive physical, electronic and procedural security controls, regularly adapting them as technology and threats evolve. Click on the following link to learn more about the Steps taken to protect your confidential information.
- Frequently check your Qtrade accounts.
- Protect your passwords.
- Get up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware software
- Use a firewall.
- Ensure your browser and operating system are always up to date.
- Protect your Internet connection, especially with a wireless network.
- Protect yourself from online fraud.
Qtrade customers will be liable for any losses that occur as a result of: (i) the voluntarily disclosure of their usernames or passwords; or (ii) the careless or improper handling, storing or disclosure of such information. In the event of any loss, theft, misuse or compromise of your confidential Qtrade data, you must promptly notify Qtrade at 1.877.787.2330.
See below for important details and conditions of the Security guarantee.
- This guarantee only applies to Qtrade Direct Investing account.
- This guarantee does not cover situations in which you: (i) fail to follow your customer responsibilities as noted above; or (ii) authorize account activity, including: (1) the activities of any person to whom you have given, or with whom you have shared, your customer username and passwords, and (2) the activities of any person, including an investment advisor or professional (its employees and agents), to whom you have granted authority of any type over your account (such as power of attorney, trading or money movement authorization or an investment management relationship).
- The guarantee does not cover any tax consequences, your legal fees and expenses, or any consequential, lost opportunity or non-monetary damages. The guarantee will not apply in any situation in which you do not report unauthorized activity promptly to Qtrade Investor.
- You must work with us in any investigation, and we may ask that you take additional steps including, but not limited to, filing a police report, completing a notarized affidavit regarding the unauthorized transactions, cooperating and answering questions from Qtrade Investor and law enforcement authorities, and, if necessary, allowing access to the computer or other access device that is suspected of being compromised.
- Qtrade will determine the type and amount of reimbursement, including whether to replace the securities in your account that were taken, and may seek restitution for reimbursements made under this guarantee from the person(s) or entity that committed the unauthorized activity. We may not provide reimbursement if you are reimbursed, or eligible for reimbursement or other coverage, by others for the unauthorized transactions; for example, by your insurance company.
- Qtrade may ask that you assign to us certain rights you may have regarding your loss and to sign a release form as a condition of reimbursement. You may not assign your rights under the guarantee to any other individual or party.
- We will fully reimburse your Qtrade account if we conclude that there was unauthorized activity resulting in a loss and the activity occurred through no fault of your own (see Customer Responsibilities below). We will also need to ensure that the activity was not initiated by you (the account owner) or by someone whom you allowed to access your account, either purposefully or inadvertently.
Online brokerage services are offered through Qtrade Direct Investing, a division of Credential Qtrade Securities Inc. Qtrade, Qtrade Direct Investing, and Write your own future are trade names and/or trademarks of Aviso Wealth.